The focus of this paper is to address how intelligence, law enforcement and homeland security officials from all three levels of government can prevent or disrupt this attack here in the U.S. (not overseas) by clearly specifying your recommendations of counter-measures to stop or interdict the terrorists here at home before the attack occurs. Employ all that you have learned about intelligence to support Homeland Security and feel free to express your own opinions when making recommendations for Homeland Security intelligence. Just listing what the government already does to collect and analyze and conduct law enforcement on the terrorism threat to the Homeland is not sufficient — make some original or even controversial proposals if you like. Do not discuss defensive or protective measures such as increasing physical security — the thrust of your recommendations needs to be focused on domestic intelligence (that is what this class is about). You can recommend a change to policy, procedure or an organizational change to how the IC (or an individual agency) supports the homeland which directly contributes to stopping a terrorist attack. Feel free to make radical proposals or even changes to existing laws, but do not make proposals that are illegal or unconstitutional (but you can propose changing a law). Remember your hypothetical attack was supposed to be imminent (in the immediate future), so longer term proposals may not be viable for this paper.
Your paper needs to clearly identify your three homeland security intelligence and law enforcement recommendations at the end of your paper before your conclusions, and include specific section headings for each recommendation with the short title for each recommendation. Your proposals to stop a terrorist attack are the heart of your final assignment, this will be the primary criteria for grading this paper and the comprehensive and culminating event for this course. You must use sections headings like these:
Recommendation 3: Intelligence is about collecting, analyzing, collaborating, sharing/disseminating, etc, so your recommendations must fall somewhere within the intelligence cycle/process we covered about in week 3. Do NOT make recommendations about increased security measures or ‘force protection’ and defensive approaches — remember this course is about INTELLIGENCE (which is proactive / preventative, not protective / reactive).
Make sure your ideas are original and something you think the government can do better related to intelligence — not status quo or what we are already doing. If you are at a total loss for ideas about how intelligence could stop an attack or be improved with domestic homeland security intelligence, then I suggest looking back over the required reading in week 4 on Fusion Centers for Homeland Security in the section on recommendations on page 24, or consider Challenges and Way Ahead (chapter 12) in the book by Buckley (2014) titled Managing Intelligence: A Guide for Law Enforcement Professionals available as an ebook in our library.
Note on the three paper assignment series: This final assignment combines all that you wrote in the first two papers (they build on each other) for a total of 6-8 FULL pages of content (not including title and reference pages). The final paper is not 6-8 pages of completely new writing since this paper integrates what you wrote for the midterm assignment in week 3 (summarize that first 5-7 page midterm paper with 1-2 pages of content in this final paper), then add information from the progress assignment on collecting and analyzing on them (summarize that second 5-7 page progress paper with 1-2 more pages of content in this final paper as well) — making sure to improve that writing based on my feedback. Then add new information where you are making at least three recommendations (3-4 pages of new material). So, the first 2-4 pages of the final paper will summarize your first two papers, and then the last 3-4 pages or so address your recommendations and summarize the whole paper.
– Make sure your paper content meets the minimum acceptable length listed above with 6-8 full pages of text, not including the Title or Reference pages.
– Written according to the APA 7th edition style and format (parenthetical in-text citation formats only; not end notes or footnotes);
– Use Times New Roman 12 point font;
– 1 inch margins on all sides with no paragraph indentation other than the first line by .5 inches
– Double space all text (no extra lines or spaces after a paragraph or section headings and no added font sizes or lines either)
– A respectable number of credible resources used, cited in the paper as in-text citations, and included on the reference page. A good rule of thumb is at least 2 scholarly sources per page of content (so a minimum of 2 new scholarly sources per page in a research paper is acceptable for this assignment). Use those academic and credible sources provided to you throughout the course, as well as other scholarly material obtained from conducting your own research. Freely utilize appropriate and reputable academic sources, summarize in your own words and cite accordingly. You are free to use material from your own forum posts from this course in your paper, and you do not have to cite yourself if you do so. However, do not cite the lessons in your paper as this is only basic information and not meant to be cited in a research paper.