Terrorist Group Profile (Organizational Assessment):
For this midterm, write a 5-7 page research paper that provides a description of the organization’s ideology, goals & objectives, leadership, funding, and terrorist capabilities. Describe the groups’ known or suspected weapons/lethal agents and delivery methods, and the tactics, techniques and procedures that they may use here in the homeland.
Make sure you pick either an international terrorist group from the Department of State list of foreign terrorist organizations, or if you pick a domestic group make sure it is really a terrorist organization (not just radicals). The Counter Extremist Project also has good details on Extremists Groups (but make sure to pick a terrorist organization). For example, the KKK is not a terrorist group (or even illegal in fact), they are a domestic hate group which has had members conduct violent acts and murder. For more on that, see the FBI’s definition for international terrorism and domestic terrorism (while either a domestic or international group can work for these papers, overseas terrorist groups are the best ones to facilitate your following research papers). This first Red Cell paper is only to set you up to be able to research and write on how to conduct intelligence operations to protect the Homeland (the following papers). So, a domestic terrorist group may make your progress and final papers harder to write if the group is not sending terrorists from overseas.
– Make sure your paper content meets the minimum acceptable length listed above with 5-7 full pages of text, not including the Title or Reference pages.
– Written according to the APA 7th edition style and format (parenthetical in-text citation formats only; not end notes or footnotes);
– Use Times New Roman 12 point font;
– 1 inch margins on all sides with no paragraph indentation other than the first line by .5 inches
– Double space all text (no extra lines or spaces after a paragraph or section headings and no added font sizes or lines either)
– A respectable number of credible resources used, cited in the paper as in-text citations, and included on the reference page. A good rule of thumb is at least 2 scholarly sources per page of content (so a minimum of 2 new scholarly sources per page in a research paper is acceptable for this assignment). Use those academic and credible sources provided to you throughout the course, as well as other scholarly material obtained from conducting your own research. Freely utilize appropriate and reputable academic sources, summarize in your own words and cite accordingly. You are free to use material from your own forum posts from this course in your paper, and you do not have to cite yourself if you do so. However, do not cite the lessons in your paper as this is only basic information and not meant to be cited in a research paper.
– The paper must be free of typographical, spelling and grammatical errors (make sure to proof read before submission)
– Turn your paper in as a Word Document and title your assignment “LastnameHLSSXXXMidterm” or ‘Progress’ or ‘Final’ on the end as appropriate.
– The HLSS Assignment Rubric embedded within the assignment will be used to evaluate this paper.